Sunday, March 11, 2007

De Flandriens

One of the things I miss most after leaving Holland is professional cycling. Not so much the tv coverage of the actual races. I can probably see more hours of cycling here than in Holland 10 years ago. But the cycling that is in heart and soul of Europeans. Folks talk about cycling. Some people even write about cycling.

My birthday roughly coincides with the start of the cycling season in Northern Europe. Races are held in cold and windy conditions and under grey skies. Henk and Myriam reminded me of the season start in recent years by sending me a copy of cycling magazine "De Muur". I would always read the story of our friend Herman Chevrolet first. This year, Henk and Myriam sent me Herman's first novel: De Flandriens.


Herman is a Swiss born Belgian, who lives and works in Amsterdam. He's a great chef and knows every short cut around Oudenaarde allowing you to see the Tour of Flanders pass 20 times on a single day. While I have not read the book yet, I listened to the interview with Herman on the Spijkers met Koppen radio show. The interview starts roughly 44 minutes into the show.


I will never forget my European heritage.


De kleine van Dorp.

No comments: